Searching for some variety to our diets, I happened upon a lovely buffalo steak at the grocery store and decided to incorporate it into one of our summer family favorites – the steak salad! It was a huge hit, so I thought I’d share!
A Western Spin on the steak salad: Buffalo Steak salad
Recipe Type: Main dish
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Buffalo steak (cooked, and cut up)
- Package of mixed spring greens
- 1/2 C. Red Wine Vinegar.
- 3 Tbsp lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 tsps pepper
- Use a medium-low heat for pan or BBQ grill for cooking buffalo meat. Put some coconut oil or olive oil in the pan to fry your meat. Heat the pan, then check the temperature using a tiny piece of meat. See if it sizzles slightly. If it starts sizzling too hot or burning, lower the temperature. Cook meat until the edges just start to look slightly cooked, then flip. Give it another couple minutes, check the inside if you want to, and serve. If you decide you want it cooked a little longer, you can always cook it for another minute or two.
- Let your bison rest after cooking, anywhere from 5 to 20 mins depending on the cut. Cutting too soon will allow the juices to run out. When done, bison is a different color than beef.
- Slice steak into small manageable slices. Chop up other ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Goes great with Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe – mix red wine vinegar, lemon, honey salt and pepper in a small food processor or blender. Pour over salad and toss!